A community synagogue for progressive Conservative Judaism, welcoming to all. The JCCH will be CLOSED TODAY, FRIDAY, JULY 19, due to a power outage. We are working to resolve this problem and will be emailing and posting updates.
Speaking of the Torah, the sages said: “Turn it and turn it, for everything is in it.”
We want our high school students to see the Torah from different perspectives and to apply those perspectives to the problems and issues that they face in their own lives.
The High School meets once a week. It uses the mini-course approach. Each mini-course is five sessions so students are exposed to a wide variety of courses and teachers. The first part of the session begins with a lecture and is followed by a speaker. There is no homework. The session ends in May.
Listed below are examples of the mini-courses that have been taught:
- Understanding the cults and missionary movements in our society
- Making Jewish decisions about your body
- Ethical questions and Judaism
- American Jewish literature
- The Kings of Israel
- Anti-Semitism and the Holocaust
- Community and responsibility
- From the Prophets to the Kings
- Great moral dilemmas
- Hebrew (elective) – Beginners, Intermediate, and Advanced
- Israel’s History
- Israel Today
- Jewish by choice
- Jewish literature
- Statement of principles of Conservative Judaism