If the Rabbi and/or Cantor are to officiate, please be in touch them as far in advance as possible, so that the preparatory meetings and conversations can be planned out.

If you are interested in celebrating your wedding at JCCH, please contact Executive Director Eric Nussbaum or 914-835-2850 x108.


In Jewish law, a civil divorce is not sufficient to terminate a validly contracted Jewish marriage. A Get (religious bill of divorce) must be written and delivered. Until this is done, it is not possible for either spouse to remarry in a Jewish ceremony, and if it is not done, children from a subsequent marriage may encounter severe status problems in certain sectors of the Jewish community, and especially in Israel.

Rabbi Hammerman can help you arrange for a proper Get proceeding, which will respect the dignity of all parties and the mature life decision they have made. Assuming both spouses are willing to cooperate in the Get process, it can usually be accomplished in a matter of weeks. If there is not mutual cooperation, there are still ways to effect a proper termination of the marriage under Jewish law. In all cases, please be in touch with Rabbi Hammerman or 914-835-2850 as soon as the decision to divorce is made.

Please note that, although a Get can be written and delivered before a civil divorce is decreed, no document certifying the delivery of the Get can be issued to either party until a civil decree is recorded.